Psalm Before Shabbat (for Friday): Psalm 93, vs. 2 (previously listed as verse 1)

Your throne was established long ago; you are from all eternity.

I'm sorry I did not get to the psalm for Friday until now, but I have been busy preparing for a teaching weekend in Keene, NH that begins tonight.  Since Shabbat is almost here, I will keep today's comment short and sweet.

God's presence is one of the few, if not the only, constant in our lives.  All else is impermanent and temporary, but God's presence is eternal.  Of course, how we experience that presence and what it means to us often changes based on what is happening in our life or simply in the moment.

The idea of God's throne can be a problematic one, as it represents an image of God that no longer resonate with me (God as the old man on the throne ).  However, just as the throne is the seat of power, so too God is the source of power in my life.  It is not that God rules over me like a king or queen, makes my decisions for me or causes things to happen.  Rather, God's presence is the source of life, the source of love, the source of all that was, is and shall be.   Shabbat Shalom.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parshat Shemot: From Pharaoh to President (a Response to this Past Week's Riots in Washington)

White Privilege, Charlottesville and Our Responsibility

Psalm for Friday: Psalm 93, Verse 5

Commentary on Parshat Tzav