The Binding - a 5-part poem on the Akeidah (Binding of Isaac)

 The story of Akeidat Yitzhak, or the Binding of Isaac, is one of the most suspenseful, and probably problematic, narratives in the Torah. For a father to be asked to sacrifice his son in order to prove his faith in God seems to be an almost sadistic test. Yet, I have always wondered who was really being tested. Was it merely Yitzhak or was it also his father Abraham. What about Sarah, who is not even mentioned in the narrative? And perhaps God was testing God's self.

This poem imagines what what have been going through the minds of all four "characters" in the story at that time and ends with my own thoughts and response to the events in the narrative. 

As you read it, think about your own reactions and how you might see yourself in the story.

L'shanah tovah u'metukah - a happy, sweet (and meaningful!) New Year,

Rabbi Steve

-----------------------------------------------------

The binding

a poem in 5 parts

I. bound faith

Yitzhak

my name
Yitzhak

a verb

    he shall laugh
I cannot laugh
the name itself   

a cruel joke  

they made   a mistake

it should have been

 Yitz'ak
  he shall cry out


no   

not even that is right
I am not  a verb
I do not act
I simply       am
I know not 

precisely who    what


let father decide
let mother decide
let God decide


letting me decide
is absurd 

it makes me      laugh


but there is 

no one  to hear
I am  alone 


I have left  my parent’s house

still  I carry it within me
I have left 

the place of my birth
Perhaps now     I can finally  be born


I have left 

my land

my piece of earth
never really mine 


Only one spot belongs to me
the place 

where I was bound
the place 

  where I was willing
to give up 

  my life

  my self
for my father
for his God     my God
the place 

where I was prepared to act
to finally become
a verb
a man
by doing      nothing


inactive action
courageous folly

in that place 

at that time
I became  human
I became one with  

God   

father   

mother   

brother 

all


I realized in that moment
I am alone    yet not alone
in that moment I was bound

not to the altar of fire
I was bound 

to the altar of faith
bound faith 

not blind faith


faith

in the One who gave me life 

upon that altar
the moment I  surrendered
is when I chose
to act 

         to do 

  to make a difference
to live 

by allowing my     self

to die


I pray 

I can continue to act
to make a difference
to become a blessing 


I begin my journey
to the place not shown
to the place 

I will find on my own

step   by    step


perhaps that is the point
each step of the journey is

the destination
    the place
      of the Divine
        where we  are meant
  to be       to live


each place both end and beginning
in each place 

able to bind ourselves
to the One  

the All   

the moment


that is 

        the essence of the sacrifice
      the journey                                  

      of being      

      alive


ii. sarah's test

why did I let him leave

    how could I not 


my son
my only one
whom I love
more than life
is no longer

here with me

 

I could not look
I could only hear

sitting in my tent
surrounded by God’s light

afraid
I would fail the test
rise up from my place
run to him
embrace him

prevent him
from going
growing

living

leaving

but I did not 

I passed the test

I held my screams 

 tears   fear self
  inside
I allowed 

      him to leave
with his father
knowing only one 

would return 


this was the only way 

to fulfill God's promise
to let him go
into the wilderness

the unknown
from where we came
trusting  in God
trusting in Abraham
trusting the voice  in my soul
a soul torn 

    from my  body
the moment 

I could no longer hear his voice
see his face
feel his touch

the moment I realized
he was no longer   mine
as he should not be 

perhaps now

he will become

who he was meant to be
Yitzhak
a child of laughter 

I remember

my laughter disbelief when told I would give birth Abraham's laughter incredulity   joy

but did Yitzhak's laughter ever exist

yes a memory 

a shadow

a childhood 

long ago cut short
the moment 

he realized he was not
to be like others

in the days before 

my fear    jealousy   hatred
      masquerading as love
tore his brother 

  away   from him 

the one

the only one he loved

made him feel

he was   not alone 

      

perhaps now he will l

augh      live
fulfill the promise
create a people like

sands on the shore

stars in the sky
shining brightly 

with the faith    of his father

able to shift  to change 

          like his mother
with ebb and flow
constantly changing    impermanence

trying to build a life

on hopes and dreams
that never turn out as we imagine

 

I do not know
I can only pray
this shall be


now
I am alone
sitting in my tent
God's light shining above 

this is more than enough


these days have been longer 

one night lasting an eternity
the sun 

remained in hiding
never rising      never setting
only darkness my last night 


in the distance 

I see three figures
two servant boys I do not know

a man I know well

with whom I have shared lifetimes

bent over with sorrow and age

he has passed his test 


I see no one else
that is enough     it is done
nothing more to do
but breathe and wait
for God to descend
to return my soul breath to its source

to someday be reunited with the soul 

that came into the world through me
filling me with laughter   joy  blessing
who will now do so 

for those yet to come

 

I am ready
to die    to be reborn     to wait
to see what comes next
for him
for me
for us all

III. after the ram


the slaughter was easier than I had imagined

the sacrifice was not what I had thought

or was it


I did not need to kill him

I needed to kill

the part of him within me


the ram

trapped in the thicket

by its horns

a father

trapped in the moment

by his fear and joy

a son

set free at last

by the one 

who kept him bound   all these years


I saw the ram 

        I knew what to do

as in a dream

  I untied the boy 

     looked at him

he turned away

  I turned my back

knowing I would never see him again


I took my time

not wanting   to turn around

to see the inevitable

nothing   no one

he was gone     


the ram struggled 

to be free

I struggled 

to give freedom

I bound the ram

I saw his face

I slaughtered the ram

I saw my tears

I burned the body on the altar

I saw God smile

I returned home

I saw her scream


At that moment

I knew the journey was over

the journey had just begun


Yitzhak

my child of laughter   

not that day


I had only 

to slaughter a ram

to sacrifice a relationship

I had no choice

but to choose this path

now we are each on our journeys

destinations the same

unknown


as I walked 

         down 

     the mountain

  to return

I feel something

in my hand


I look down

I see a horn    reminder

of what happened

       of what did not

of my test and his

     

I still have it  still sound it today

to remember that moment

      all that I lost   then

      all that I have now

which will also be lost

as everything is


after the ram

nothing was the same

before the ram

nothing was different


so it is

before each moment

after each moment

a life continuing 

trial to trial

  sacrifice to sacrifice

    joy to joy

      sorrow to sorrow

         breath to breath

until it ends

which it never truly does



iv. the trial of God


it is  finished

it is just begun     

neither    both

it simply continues


why did I test them

why did need to test me


why could I not have faith in my creations

why did I need to know

the answer

which really remains unknown

even after the test is over


my children showed me

the meaning of faith

     what have I shown them

the meaning of

testing trying  manipulating

not really faith


but no


I have shown them

the meaning of mercy forgiveness

trust in the moment   

in which they each chose


each one unique

the test  the subject  the response

each one bears witness

to faith in me

in the part of me within them

that is them

faith in relationship

interdependence

unity


at least that is what I tell myself

the answer    we are one

I thought I knew that then

I truly know that now


they did not forsake me

I did not abandon them

I tested them

they turned to me for strength

knowing I was the source

of their pain


what amazing creatures I have made

to be separate

yet a part of me

of everything


I know

I have caused suffering

  son torn from father

  father sacrificing son

  mother sacrificing all

soon to die

to rejoin  her source


a family

torn asunder

always bound together

with me     within me

through their faith


perhaps this is not a consolation

in this moment

perhaps one day it will be

   does that matter


after all is finished

I know

I do not want    or is it need

to test anymore


yet I know I will

continue testing them   and me

one and the same

so I can remain certain

of the only thing   that is 

certain  permanent  reliable


relationships


all are bound

together for eternity

no them  no other

only one


that is the answer to the test

the divine human equation

one


I passed the test

so did they

they always will

if they

we

look within to our soul

and not without   

to find  the answer

the truth

of one


v. what about me


why

who

what

I do not understand

why I should care 

about any of it


they are foreign

strange unknown

I pity them


father

sacrificing son and self

mother

sitting in silence

enabling all

son

risking all

for what

god

self-centered

manipulative

needing to know the truth

even if it kills

them


leave me alone

I do not want to know you


yet I must    I do

for you are all within me   us

our spiritual DNA


no 

I refuse to believe this 

is the truth


I  would not

sacrifice for any god


I would not abandon

a child

I would not risk my life

to prove my loyalty


I would not ask  the unaskable

of those I claim to love

merely to serve my needs

or calm my insecurities


or would I

have I

will I again

don’t we all


no

I do not believe with complete faith

that this is the truth


yet I know with complete faith

that it is


love sacrifice pain surrender

fury resignation

all are part of life for us

because we are human

we make mistakes

but what about god    our image

our source


we do not want to cause pain 

still we do

we do not want to test 

the limits   of faith    of love

still we do


we do not want to sit inactive

allowing the plot      life

to unfold before our eyes

unable    or afraid   to stop it

still   we do

 

we do not want

to sacrifice the self

to find the truth

the one

still we must


why


why can it not be simple

no pain  no test

no sacrifice no surrender


because without 

pain

   testing

       sacrifice

surrender

life would not be   life

we would not act

we would simply exist

without truly being


we would be

like Isaac     without laughter

never able to leave   home


Abraham     in his tent

sitting    welcoming guests

never going beyond

comfortable boundaries


Sarah protecting precious possessions

maintaining the status quo 

never allowing for freedom    growth       

living


God  uncertain testing

how far each  will go

what each  will do  as proof

to surrender    to   divine will

to walk the path   step by step

to continue the work of creation


I do not like them

yet I love them

I know them

their actions       feelings

are a part of me

I am a part of them

part of the plan

whether I accept it     or not


living brings pain

but pain becomes suffering

when we do not take action

when we do not try in our hearts to connect

to something greater

when we deny the truth

of the call of the divine      whatever that is

within us

perhaps this is what  they

are all are trying to teach us

their descendents    and creations


Still


I don’t like the players

I don’t like the author

I don’t like the plot

yet I watch it unfold

within     around

even now


I feel the pain

and know there is something greater

I must learn

so it does not become suffering


I wish there were an easier way

to learn it


maybe

next 

year







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Parshat Shemot: From Pharaoh to President (a Response to this Past Week's Riots in Washington)

White Privilege, Charlottesville and Our Responsibility

Psalm for Friday: Psalm 93, Verse 5

Commentary on Parshat Tzav